Update from last time: I went onto my roof again. On top I met some people who made cocaine... Right there on the open-air, semi-indoor terrace on the 17th floor of my building. When I asked them why they would tell me that, they told me it was legal in Hong Kong (it's not) and that they had a cocaine visa. Who would've thought...
There is nothing interesting to report since this weekend, but I have to write for DoPP about the leadership in my office.
Where I work, the direction is not very lateral at all. The people who work in departments are told what to do by their supervisors, who in turn are directed by the leadership (executive board). Because of the nature of the business, there are not a lot of group projects; although we merchandisers help each other with something from time to time (it's my job mostly just to help people) the work is rarely done in groups. Furthermore, the individuality of our work leads to our having fewer meetings than I expect an ordinary American company would have. Finally, each department represents a different service that the company does for its customers (with the exception of administratives like IT and accounts) and as such works independently from the other departments.
Having never worked full-time at an office in the US, the differences I perceive are skewed; one thing I do notice is a level of cohesion between coworkers that I haven't seen as often in American companies.
I enjoy working here. The involvement, learning and significance of my job far exceeds any other job I've held (self-employment excepted).
No comments:
Post a Comment